Friday 24 October 2008

A Fresh Start

Ten new envelopes have been prepared and will be distributed around Edinburgh over the next few days. I have numbered them from 1-10 on the inside of the envelope which is returned to me, so I can keep track of which locations result in a returned card. The locations of each envelope will be filled in below as and when they are distributed:

1. An unused table in Starbucks
2. The ice cream freezer in Tesco
3. The Cameo Cinema
4. The steps of the Edinburgh College of Art
5. At a free computer in the University of Edinburgh Main Library
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

At the moment I plan to use all of the suitable responses as source cards and will then run each of them as their own individual project. This plan is subject to change.

1 comment:

  1. As one of the co-creators of the first card I am sorry that we were such a "huge disappointment". Our 'Tangquila' idea was to get people to try something new as a group, and open up (“express opinions or feelings which they would normally keep to themselves”, perhaps??) to the rest of said group. Our general idea was that the opinions and feelings expressed whilst taking part were what would be put onto the next card, but then of course we can’t dictate what people actually do on the card, can we??

    We may have taken a lighter approach to your instructions, however we did interpret them in our own way. Had we realised you wanted a piece of in-depth prose, poetry, artwork or a general dissection of the human psyche, to be fair, we’d probably have binned it.

    Whilst I understand that it is your project and therefore subject to your creative control, I really feel that you can’t put a blank canvas out to people without being ready to accept what you receive back. If you want this project to have some kind of mass appeal, I suspect that you should get used to this kind of thing. You say on the blog that you have reworded your initial letter. This is, I think, somewhat wise given that “I am giving you the freedom to decide what direction the project takes” does not actually appear to be the case.

    I apologise if this sounds bitter. To be fair, I and my friends rather are. We are all hurt and frankly (to use phrase of the day) hugely disappointed by your comments. We were asked to do someone a favour, try something out, take a gamble, be part of something, and when it turns out that we’re not suitable for that, our work is discarded.

    Here’s hoping that there are more suitable people waiting for you in the other locations, or that at least you can use this comment as one of the "emotional responses" you are looking for.


    Good luck with your project, and if you ever hit a creative “wall”, I bet a tangquila would help!

    ReplyDelete